Welcome to the Goosfest Arts & Music Festival
Goosfest is a “not for profit” arts and music festival held each year in October at various venues in and round the village of Goostrey in Cheshire. The festival offers a diverse programme of events, so whether it is classical, folk, jazz or contemporary music, theatre, stand-up comedy or craft that turns you on, Goosfest has it!
We’re delighted to welcome you to a fantastic line-up of events in this year’s Goosfest, building on the success of our programmes over the past 11 years. Our growing reputation of hosting one of the best music and arts festivals in the North-West means that we can attract an increasingly diverse mix of both well-known and up-and-coming acts.
We work hard to put together a programme which we hope offers something for everyone, but we also want to challenge you to experience something new. With all 26 events held within the vicinity of Goostrey, now’s the time to try something different, as well as types of event you might already be familiar with.
Goosfest ’18 offers a great programme of music, drama, lectures, workshops and social opportunities. And if last year’s festival is anything to go by, we expect that the vast majority will be a sell-out – so don’t be slow to book tickets. This year, we’ve invested in a new-look website, which we hope will evolve to include audience reviews and festival feedback.
Some highlights for 2018: fun-filled comedy with Barry Cryer and Colin Sell; music from The Christians; a joint event with The Royal Geographical Society featuring intrepid explorer Benedict Allen; a 1960’s evening with The Revolvers; children’s entertainment with some ‘pirates’ and classical delights from the Hope Wind Ensemble.
Three stand-out events will be afternoon tea and entertainment at The Yellow Broom; a Cole Porter tribute with lunch at the Swettenham Arms, and our ever-popular Comedy Night. By popular demand, we have included two photography workshops, and workshops covering sourdough baking (Roberts Bakery master bakers), jewellery production, and memoir writing. There are also free ‘fringe’ events during the Goosfest fortnight, including music in both our local pubs.
Goosfest aims to keep our quality high and our tickets prices low. This is only possible through the loyal support of our regular audience, sponsors and Goostrey Parish Council. Each year our programme is devised and managed by a small group of individuals and a band of dedicated helpers.
If you would like to be involved in any way, or have any suggestions for future events, please let us know. If you have not been to a Goosfest event before, come and join us. Make the most of such a fantastic cultural opportunity on your doorstep. To our regular Goosfesters, a welcome return!
Goosfest is excited to announce the following line-up for the 2018 Festival, which will take place from Friday 5th October to Monday 22nd October.
PLEASE NOTE THAT BECAUSE OF THE CHANGE OF VENUE FOR THE TWO SOURDOUGH WORKSHOPS, THERE ARE NOW MORE TICKETS AVAILABLE FOR BOTH WORKSHOPS.
- Classic Sax Solos – Snake Davis£15.00
Friday 5th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 8.00 pm Licensed Bar opens 7.00 pm
- Photography Workshop for Beginners with Richard Weston£20.00
Saturday 6th October 2018 Goostrey Sports Pavilion, Goostrey, Cheshire 10.00 am to 4.00 pm(Limited to 18 Participants)
- Barry Cryer and Colin Sell – Strictly Come Joking£20.00
8.00pm Saturday 6th October 2018 Terra Nova School, CheshireBarry Cryer and Colin Sell ‘Strictly Come Joking’ Licensed Bar opens 7.00 pm, Theatre doors open 7.30 pm Allocated Seating (Please indicate in the special seating requirements box, below, if have any preference as to where you would like to sit. For example, in the middle of a row or next to an aisle or at the front, middle or back of the theatre)
- The Music and Life of Bob Dylan£10.00
Sunday 7th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 7pm Licensed Bar opens 6.15 pmThe Music and Life of Bob Dylan Rik Roberts & Les Renshaw (guitars and songs) John Lindley (spoken word)
- What a Swell Party – The Life and Music of Cole Porter£18.00Includes a two course lunch
Tuesday 9th October 2018 Swettenham Arms, The Lovell Suite, Cheshire Please be seated by 12:15pm for 12.30 pm startAllocated Seating (please indicate, in the special seating requirements box, below, if you have any preference as to who you wish to sit with) What a Swell Party - The Life and Music of Cole Porter The Cyril Caulkin Memorial Lunch Singers: Janet Ollier, Georgina Goodchild & Martin Leake Accompanist: Christina Burgess. Narration: Gordon Hamlin
- Café Scientifique Lecture – The Square Kilometre Array Project£5.00
Tuesday 9th October Goostrey Methodist Church, Cheshire 7.30pm (Doors open 7.00pm)Dr Antonio Chrysostomou
- The History of the World viewed from Chester£5.00
Wednesday 10th October 2018 Goostrey Methodist Church, Cheshire 10.00 am -12 noonA lecture by Dr Philip Morgan Tickets £5 (No charge for Goostrey Guild members)
- Standing in Line – A story of the Great War through songs, readings & images£10.00
Wednesday 10th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 7.30 pm (Licensed Bar opens 7.00 pm)By Lester Simpson, Nigel Corbett & Mike Bettison
- Jewellery Workshop with Hannah Webb£35.00Includes basic materials
10.00am–4.00pm Thursday 11th October 2018 Goostrey Sports Pavilion, CheshireJewellery workshop with Hannah Webb (limited to 12 participants)
- Little Green Men – a play by Rob Johnston£0.00This is a FREE event but tickets are required for admission.
Thursday 11th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 8.00pm (Licensed Bar opens 7:30pm)
- The Revolvers – Sounds of the ‘60s Evening£12.00
Friday 12th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 8.00 pm (Licensed Bar opens at 7.00 pm)
- The Creative World of Photographing Glass£20.00
Saturday 13th October 2018 Goostrey Sports Pavilion, Cheshire 10.00 am - 4.00 pmA workshop with Richard Weston (limited to 18 participants)
- The Christians in Concert£20.00
8.00pm Saturday 13th October 2018 Terra Nova School, CheshireLicensed Bar opens 7.00 pm, Theatre doors open 7.30 pm Allocated Seating (Please indicate in the special seating requirements box, below, if have any preference as to where you would like to sit. For example, in the middle of a row or next to an aisle or at the front, middle or back of the theatre)
- Pirates’ Stories, Songs and Games£3.00 – £14.00Tickets - Adults £5, Children £3, Family (2 Adults & 2 Children £14)
Sunday 14th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 2.00 pm (doors open at 1.30 pm)Refreshments available
- The Hope Wind Ensemble – leader Simon Beesley£10.00
Sunday 14th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 7.30 pm (Licensed Bar opens at 7.00 pm)
- Sourdough Bread Workshop 1 with Roberts’ Master Bakers£12.00All ingredients supplied.
7.30pm Monday 15th October 2018 Roberts Bakery, Rudheath, Northwich, CheshirePLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE Limited to 15 participants. This event is repeated on Monday 22nd October - Search Sourdough to the left for details.
- The Madeis Duo Recital – Antonio Persak & Lola Ramirez£22.00Includes the classic Yellow Broom afternoon tea.
Tuesday 16th October 2018 The Yellow Broom, Twemlow, Cheshire Please be seated by 2:15 pm for a 2.30 pm recital (followed by the classic Yellow Broom afternoon tea at 3:30 pm)
- Goosfest Comedy Night£12.00
Tuesday 16th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 8.00 pm (Licensed Bar opens 7.00 pm)Over 18 admission only
- Living in the Roman Countryside of Cheshire£5.00
Wednesday 17th October 2018 Goostrey Methodist Church, Cheshire 10.00am - 12 noon (with short interval)A lecture by Dr Rob Philpott (No charge for Goostrey Guild members)
- Jeannine Barry and Band – Country & Western Night£12.00
Thursday 18th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 8.00pm (Licensed Bar opens 7.00pm)
- Goostrey Goes to Spain£17.00Including supper.
Friday 19th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 7.00pm arrival for 7:30pm supper (Licensed Bar opens at 6:30 pm)
- Write your own Memoirs – Writing Workshop with Judi Goodwin£25.00Please bring a pen and large notebook, or an A4 pad and ring-binder file.
Saturday 20th October 2018 Goostrey Scout & Youth Centre, Cheshire 10.00am - 4.00pmLimited to 12 participants
- John Archer – ‘Comedy, Magic and a Bit of Ukulele’£10.00
Saturday 20th October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire 7.30 pm (Licensed Bar opens 6.30pm)Suitable for 10 years of age and above
- The Colours of the Organ – A recital by George Robey£5.00
3.00pm Sunday 21st October 2018 St Luke's Parish Church, Goostrey, Cheshire
- Lost in Papua New Guinea – Benedict Allen.£5.00 – £10.00Adults £10, Under 18 yrs £5, RGS-IBG members £8 (Please enter your RGS-IBG membership number in the Special Requirements box and bring evidence of membership with you)
Sunday 21st October 2018 Goostrey Village Hall, Cheshire Lecture 6.00pm - 7.40pm (with short interval) Book signing 5.00-6.00pm and 7.40-8.00pm Licensed Bar opens 5.00 pm In Collaboration with the Royal Geographic Society with IBGAll tickets booked through Goosfest
- Sourdough Bread Workshop 2 with Roberts’ Master Bakers£12.00All ingredients supplied.
7:30pm Monday 22nd October 2018 Roberts Bakery, Rudheath, Northwich, CheshirePLEASE NOTE CHANGE OF VENUE Limited to 15 participants.